Our History

  • Circa 1910 - The Mansours, Carrascos, & Normans arrive in Newnan, but still travel to Atlanta, Griffin, and LaGrange for Mass. 

  • 1938Taft Mansour delegated to petition the Bishop for a priest to come to Newnan.

  • 1938 The first Mass said in Newnan at Mansour home on Clark Street (Visiting priests continue to travel to Newnan for ten years.)

  • 1940The Women’s Altar Society and Holy Name Society are formed.

  • 1945 - First spaghetti supper held.

  • 1947 - Virginia and Swinton House hotel dining rooms become the new site of Masses in Newnan.

  • 1950 - The congregation is assigned to Redemptorists Priests as a mission of Sacred Heart Church in Griffin.

  • 1950 - The first priest is officially assigned. 

  • 1952 - A new church is dedicated on Jackson St. This would become St. George.

  • 1955 - The first bake sale is held.

  • 1961 - The first Parish Picnic is held.

  • 1968 - The contract for Roscoe Road location is signed and the priest begins living on church property.

  • 1969 - The new church is dedicated.

  • 1974 - St. George becomes a parish church and is assigned to Redemptorist priests.

  • 1981 - The Legion of Mary is formed.

  • 1987 - Stained glass windows are installed.

  • 1992 - The Redemptorist Order no longer runs the church. Parish administration is entrusted to priests of the Archdiocese of Atlanta. 

  • 1992 - Monsignor Leo Herbert is named Pastor.

  • 1993 - The first Deacon is assigned to St. George.

  • 1994 - Sister Bridget Henderson, becomes the first nun assigned to St. George, and is named Director of Religious Education.

  • 1994 - The first St. George Day celebration is held.

  • 1997 - A new Hall is built on the property.

  • 1998 - Henderson Hall dedicated and named for Sister Bridget Henderson.

  • 1999 - The first Spanish Mass is celebrated.

  • 2001 - The first Parochial Vicar is assigned for Spanish Masses.

  • 2002 - Father Austin Fogarty is named Pastor.

  • 2012 - Father Henry Atem is named Pastor.

  • 2020 - New rectory is completed.

  • 2020 - Father Randall Mattox is named Pastor.